Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Pre-Departure

Kristine Tunnell here. Thought I would start keeping an online journal of my travels so that everyone who would like to keep in touch with me while I am out of the country and unable to communicate all the time will be able to do so! I will be in the wonderful country of Costa Rica for almost 4 months! I leave January 11th and will return to the wonderful United States on the 26th of April but won't be home until the 28th!

While down in San Jose Costa Rica I will be studying Espanol (Spanish) and Environmental Science. When I first get down there late on Tuesday night the 11th I will stay with the other kids in the program in a rec center. The 12th, I will meet my Christian host family and will stay with them for over a month! The first week I am down there I will be going through orientation. Hopefully we will be learning some customs and culture to help us not make huge fools of ourselves! Although that is very much so expected! All I can do is try to learn and understand and go into every interaction with a strong sense of humor! The next month I will be studying Spanish for 3 hours every day and taking a Costa Rican History Seminar class in which I will be going on many field trips to important landmarks and buildings in the area, listening to speakers from different careers in Costa Rica, and learning about the customs and culture of the area. This seminar is going to count as my history credit, which is nice since I didn't want to take American History again! After taking these classes I will get to travel for a while in some of the different countries in Latin America, like Nicaragua, Panama, Guatemala...when I figure out where and when I'll keep you all updated. Then for the last 5 weeks of my time down there I will be traveling every week to a new destination to study environmental science. I will get to study volcanoes, the coral reefs, the mangrove forests, the cloud forests, work with sea turtles, work with the community to teach them about sustainable agriculture, and much more! It is going to be a great time! I'm really excited to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment