Sunday, January 30, 2011

Wait, we have to take classes?

I thought this was a vacation!
There is a lot of homework on top of everything else we have going on here than I feel like I have had so far in college! I have class in the morning for LASP from 8 until 11:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We have speakers come in and talk to us about a different issue each day related to Latin America. We have discussed Colonialism, Costa Rican History, Economic systems, the War on Drugs, Poverty and the providence of Limon so far. It has been really interesting and presented new ideas that blow my mind every time. I think that this experience is really important to have. I believe that everyone should have to study abroad in college because we need to see the world from another perspective at times! It has been really interesting to understand the United States from a Latin American Perspective. Every day I am blown away with new thoughts and new convictions as to how to live my life! Then in the afternoons Monday through Friday I have Spanish classes at ICADs from 1:30-4:30. I am in the second lowest Spanish class of all the students here and there are 2 other girls in my class. It's like in cross country...we are the fast of the slow kids! The ones you cheer for because we are trying! LOL! We are all about at the same level, but all have different skills than the others. I understand a lot better than they do, but we are defiantly at the same level. We have a quiz every Friday and a final presentation by the end of the five weeks we have classes! We are learning really quickly! And it helps I’m sure to be surrounded by Spanish all the time! I love it when I can ask what a word means and my family or teacher can explain what it is to me in Spanish and I can understand what the word is! The language barrier is tough and frustrating, but I do enjoy learning the language. I walk to ICADs with a couple friends every day, it is a 45 minute walk there and I also walk home as well! My friend Sarah and I have made friends with the receptionist at ICADS because she lives close to us and we walked home with her the other day. Her name is Pamela and she is married and awesome! My first tican friend. She is our age and I hope that we will be able to walk home with her often and maybe hang out a few other times as well!
Besides Lasp and ICADs which I will only have for 5 weeks and am already on week 3, we go to Nicaragua for a couple weeks, I travel around costa Rica studying the rainforest and everything, and then I will have an internship…counting sea turtles, collecting iguana eggs, something crazy awesome, lastly we all get to travel to Cuba for a week or so! I think that it is going to be an amazing semester! Just keep praying for me to have courage with the language barrier because until I get across that it is tough!

No comments:

Post a Comment